The trip back to Texas

First day going back Texas we got off to a late start as we had to turn in the
equipment for the cable TV and Internet service and the office didn’t open until 10am. We did make good time on the road considering our late start. That night we picked a Mexican low cost hotel to stay the night in, we usually have a problem at the high priced places with the pets. This hotel couldn’t care less if we had pets. After paying for the room we went walking, looking for a place to have dinner. We didn’t find anything close to the motel so we walked back to the motel, on the way back I fell hard on the sidewalk and Samantha had to help me up. I knew that I would have bruises from this fall. I managed to get myself back to the van and we went looking for a restaurant and found a few, all closed. Just by chance we found a family restaurant that was open and even though it was raining we went in to see what the menu was like. We ordered dinner and it was a very nice dinner much nicer than many places we had eaten at this trip. Just as we were finishing our meal a group of young ladies showed up and their job was to publicise the local carnival week, they gave out party favors we got beads and a large plastic bottle with the local beer logo. It was nice to be included and we talked about the experience at the restaurant several times later in the trip. We seem to have better luck with food and accommodations using the businesses that are more for Mexicans than for the foreign clientele.
The following day we got off to an early start, but not before we got attacked by mosquitoes while loading the van, darn they were bad. however we got off bitten but not beaten…

The second day on the road we noticed that there was more rain than before and lots more potholes in the road. The traffic was getting heavier and the GPS was sending us on wild goose trips. Just north of Veracruz we stopped for a night at Marty’s Motel and restaurant. This is another pleasant surprise. They let us keep the animals in the room and we arrived just before they closed the restaurant. We had another wonderful Mexican dinner, great food, I loved the beans and the tortillas were fresh and hot. We told them we would return for breakfast in the morning. The next morning we packed up and waited for the restaurant to open. We weren’t disappointed the breakfast was great I had heavos rancheros, loved those beans and the eggs were done to perfection the sauce was perfect. Two good meals in a row. So off we went with satisfied tummies.

Third day was more rough roads more GPS problems and in Tampico we had our first run in with a cop on the take. We had just made a left hand turn at a signal and had waited for the green arrow so we knew we hadn’t run the red light. He pulled us over and accused us of running the light and said he could give us a ticket that would cost $200. I faked that I didn’t understand Spanish and told him in English that he could take us to the police station. He didn’t like that idea, but inferred that things could be forgotten for a price so he got me for $20. It was either that or sit there and argue for who knows how long and still end up paying a fine.
We left there a little disturbed but none for the wear and found the Best Western Motel on the road out of town. Best Western doesn’t allow pets in the rooms, so I didn’t say we had any and later in the evening after the help left I snuck them into the room. I know I was naughty doing this, but I just couldn’t leave them out there in the van all night in the cold rain, I wouldn’t have been able to sleep thinking about them.

The following day the roads improved still a few big potholes, but most were easily avoided although with all the potholes we had hit on this trip I was getting concerned about the tire situation on the van. The damn GPS made some obvious errors so we turned it off and made our way north on our own. We finally made it to Metomoros on the border with Texas and did the usual ride around town until we found a bridge to cross. With usual luck we got in the wrong parking lot and picked the wrong official to ask to take our vehicle sticker back. With trial and error and persistence we got the job done and were on our way back to the U.S..
When we got to the other side we had to give up our lunch meat, hot dogs and pay for our liquor no big deal, got the usual twenty questions from the boys in blue and the rain continued. After we got released we drove around and eventually found the La Quinta Motel and went to dinner at Denny’s. We both thought it was amusing that at this Denny’s we heard as much Spanish as when we were in Mexico. I had a piece of apple pie something that I wanted since we started the trip.
So we are back in Texas ……

Categories: Mexican family restaurnats, Mexican motels, Pets | 4 Comments

Post navigation

4 thoughts on “The trip back to Texas

  1. Good luck were ever the stars lead you.

  2. Toss the GPS and get a good map!Welcome to Texas.

  3. The GPS works better in the U.S. still will send you on a wild goose chase now and then like to places that are closed or not at that address. I think it is a case of GIGO garbage in, garbage out.TEXAS to hot in the summer to cold in the winter…

  4. So does this end the Mexico Saga blog? You two gave up easily. Even if you weren't inclined to stay in one place long, Mexico is a huge country and you had a lot more to explore.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

%d bloggers like this: